Vanport was once Oregon’s second largest city, created as a wartime housing development for Kaiser Shipyard. Located in the Kenton neighborhood, it was home to 40,000, but was washed away in a flood on May 30, 1948. Today, all that remains are the memories of the survivors and their families, and a small piece of concrete foundation from the original Vanport movie theater. The Vanport Places project will mark physical locations of historic Vanport — providing common ground for individuals and communities to connect and share memories, stories, and experiences of Vanport.
Join Our Effort
Donate to the Vanport Placemarking Project. All donations are tax deductible.